Advocacy in all its forms seeks to ensure that people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society, are able to:
- Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them.
- Defend and safeguard their rights.
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives.
Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to:
- Express their views and concerns.
- Access information and services.
- Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities.
- Explore choices and options
Advocates work closely to the Advocacy Code of Practice.
Advocacy can be helpful in all kinds of situations where people:
- Find it difficult to make their views known.
- Need other people listen to them and take their views into account.
Easy to read leaflet: What is Advocacy?